In this third step the school undertakes the Initial Rights Assessment with support from the RRS Facilitator.
The Initial Rights Assessment is a process the school undergoes to understand what level of rights respecting activities, awareness and practices are occurring within the school community before the initiative begins. The findings of the Initial Rights Assessment provide a baseline against which future development and success can be measured.
The Initial Rights Assessment has four components:
- 1.0 Administrator Survey
- 2.0 Student Survey
- 3.0 Student Workshops
- 4.0 Staff Survey
Following the completion of the Initial Rights Assessment, the Children’s Rights Team reviews the results with the RRS Facilitator and uses the information they learn to later inform the development of their RRS Action Plan.
STEP 3 RESOURCES FOR RRS FACILITATORS:
- Section 2 of RRS Toolkit for Canadian Schools (PDF)
- 1.0 Initial Administrator Survey (PDF)
- 2.0 Initial Student Survey (PDF)
- Student Invitation Letter for Initial Student Survey (Word)
- Student Invitation Letter for Student Workshops (Word)
- Consent, Waiver and Release Form (PDF)
- 4.0 Initial Teaching Staff Survey (PDF)
- Reviewing the Results of the Initial Rights Assessment Guide (PDF)
- RRS Building Blocks Charts (PDF)